Sensibill is lighting up the FinTech industry with mobile solutions that change the way people interact with their purchases and enable corporations to make critical insights. We are looking to expand our Research & Innovation team with a Senior Tech Lead to help us drive next-generation improvements to our receipt processing engine.
We need a Senior Tech Lead who is able to lead by example. Someone who is able to quickly whip out a script to test a hypothesis, but who can also plan an approach to solve a complex problem. We need a Senior Tech Lead who doesn’t insist on being the smartest person in the room, but wants to help develop others around them to be great because she or he knows that a rising tide lifts all boats. Someone who thinks before acting, and who designs before coding … and who wants to do it in an energetic, start-up environment at the cutting edge of the #fintech industry.
As our new Senior Tech Lead, you will:
- Lead and mentor a team of developers, motivating them and not commanding them.
- Be responsible for the core of our technology: our receipt processing engine.
- Design and structure experiments to measure the effectiveness of new algorithms and approaches.
- Quickly build, test, measure and repeat.
- Strike a balance between fast and flawless - recognize which pieces need the extra polish before they go in the wild, and which can be prototyped quickly and thrown away.
- Maintain the training environment in which the output datasets are created and accessed by the supervised machine learning system.
- Actively engage with the data research team who steward the input and output datasets, guiding them to source the right data to support your experiments.
So who are you?
- A seasoned developer, first and foremost. You have 5-7 years of experience writing code and would have no hesitation with debugging an external library or extending its functionality if it was more efficient than building from scratch.
- Open. You adapt to change, solicit input from others, and adopt the best ideas irrespective of their source. It’s not about being right at the beginning, but about following a structured process to get to the right answer.
- Data-driven. Your intuition may guide you to test a hypothesis, but you look to the results of properly structured experiments to reach conclusions and inform next steps.
- Creative yet organized. Coming up with new ideas to test is second nature to you, but you’re still able to build a viable plan that fits in a larger context, and that you and the team can deliver on.
- A coach. You’ve been around the block and want to develop others to do their best work and help them see how to unblock themselves when faced with an obstacle.
And this is what you'll have:
- A relevant post-secondary degree in Computer Science or Engineering. A Masters or PhD is considered an asset.
- At least 2 years of coding experience in industry, outside of academia.
- At least 2 years of experience leading or coaching teams.
- The ability to lead and mentor a team of developers and researchers to quickly build and test.
- A near-fanatical zeal for hitting performance targets.
Why should you join Sensibill?
We love pie. We are fun. We are guided by conscientiousness.
Our culture is like that perfect piece of pie; humble and delivers exactly what you expect. Why pie? That’s our acronym. We are all about passion, integrity, and excellence. We like to have fun, and share the love. So for your birthday, we will treat you to your favourite pie. Actually, we get a few of them so we can celebrate together.
Joining a start-up in the early days is pretty much the greatest adventure you can go on. We are lean, we are smart, we are fun, and we live for balance – there are no mandatory 60-hour weeks here. This is not a top-down culture. We want everyone’s input during critical decisions. To that end, if you have ideas, we want to hear them. Together we can build out and shape not just your role and your team, but our company. We want new core team members who want to invest in us the way we invest in them. We want your ideas, your energy, your skills, your dedication, and if you have any, we’ll take your #receipts too.